I took a hand towel, folded it over, then folded this into almost thirds, measuring against the Swiffer head. Then with my sewing machine, I straight-stitched the ends, to hold everything in place. I did this all rather hurriedly, and spent at most, 5 minutes. I didn't even bother with trimming the ends. I used an ordinary sewing needle, and my machine is nothing fancy, but was still able to sew through all the layers of towels.
To use it, we slide the Swiffer into the opening, and just line up the edges so the Swiffer is centered in the folded and stitched towel.
I didn't blog about this, as I wanted to give this mop head a chance to prove itself. Six months of weekly mopping, and it's still holding up fine. The stitching hasn't broken. The mop heap still slips onto the Swiffer, and stays on.
When my husband mops, he'll hold the whole thing under the kitchen faucet. When I mop, I spray the floor with a bottle of vinegar and water, then mop. And after each mopping, we put the mop head through the washer and dryer to clean it.
Part of me was expecting to have to mend this by now, or have trouble keeping the mop head on the Swiffer. But so far, no troubles.
And even if she isn't the prettiest of mop heads, she's doing a fine job.
The beauty of making this mop head with an old towel is that I have no shortage of old towels. When this one falls apart, I'll be able to make another.