|Thursday's quick and easy supper of eggs, bacon, bagels and stewed prunes|
We needed to eat through a bunch of leftovers, so I changed up the menu for tonight's dinner.
- leftover rice and lentils from last Saturday, mixed with leftover black beans from a week ago, and canned tomatoes, from the can I opened last Sunday, some salsa, and some black olives, heated in a skillet with beef fat from the freezer, and some oil (to mute the beef fat flavor)
- leftover stewed prunes from Thursday, mixed with 1 banana, sliced, for fruit cups, for 3 of the family, and 1 dish of leftover blackberry-rhubarb sauce for the other person
- steamed broccoli, the last crown of broccoli, bought a week ago and needed cooking
It was my husband's turn to cook, again. I was gone for the afternoon and came home a few minutes before dinner was ready. He's doing okay with the cooking, by the way. He asked for suggestions, on Friday. I gave him a couple of suggestions. He decided to choose his own path.
- brown rice
- refried beans
- fried corn tortillas and salsa
- carrot and celery sticks, plus bleu cheese dressing
- chili made with a chicken breast, that I had thawed the day before and wasn't used, in place of turkey as I'd planned, simmered with canned tomatoes, green peppers, onions, pinto beans and seasonings
- scratch cornbread
- cookies (these ones, but I didn't get around to dipping them in white chocolate
Mostly a repeat from Sunday's dinner
- leftover chili, stretched with lentils today
- leftover cornbread
- smoothies of orange juice, cranberry sauce and pumpkin
- baked potatoes, topped with a diced hot dog and mushrooms, sauteed, then cheese on that (this was surprisingly good)
- baked butternut squash, simply seasoned with butter and salt
- winter veggie slaw, of red cabbage, green cabbage and julienned carrots
- ham slices from the freezer
- leftover baked potatoes
- leftover butternut squash mixed with leftover pumpkin puree
- marinated lentil salad, in mustard vinaigrette
- watermelon pickles
- blackberry-rhubarb sauce from the freezer
- eggs, scrambled in ham fat, with mushrooms, onions and green pepper, topped with cheese
- turkey bacon
- stewed prunes
- bagels with cream cheese
Another quick and easy week of dinners. I attempted to put some order back into the pantry this week. We still have such abundance of everything that it's impossible to find anything in the pantry or the freezer. But I'm working at it. My plan is to have made a significant dent in the freezers by the end of February. I think we need to eat more ham and blackberries to make that happen.
What was on your menu this past week? Anything particularly yummy, or easy? I hope that everyone who was under the weather last week, is feeling much better, this week. Enjoy your weekend, everyone!